Saturday, June 1, 2013

Amanda: A Breakfast Recipe

So, the past couple of weeks have... well... kind of sucked. I've been indulging way too much, and with the stress of having two pets go through surgery and working 13 hours a day as a volunteer during my only days off.. I've really been slacking off at the gym. The one thing I haven't given up on is preparing my meals! Realistically I just don't have the money to NOT do it. However, I'm done making excuses at this point, and need to get my ass back in gear and in the gym! There's no excuse for slackery, but it is good to know that even when I'm not on my A game I can fall back on good nutrition.

Here's something I have heated up and eaten in the car on the way to work or to the gym, several times in the last month. It's super easy and versatile, you could use just about anything in here.

Muffin-tin Mini-quiches! or something. Just throw eggs and shit in a muffin tin dude, no judgement here.



 So spinach and mushroom ANYTHING is pretty much a huge weakness of mine. Throw a bit of cheese in the mix and I'm in heaven! I normally make these with a stinky cheese like feta because well, it's tasty and who am I trying to impress? But I actually wanted to have my husband talk to me in the morning so I opted for a chilled out goat cheese.

Wilt some spinach!
As a vegetarian people are constantly telling me I don't get enough protein and that I'm going to become iron-deficient. If you're a vegetarian like me and want to be able to tell those people to shut up forever, cook with cast iron!! When you use cast iron the iron in your pots and pans absorbs into your food and you eat it, which is a lot better than the toxic fumes you consume when you're using nonstick if you ask me.

Sweat those mushrooms!
 I finally threw out all of my nonstick cookware and fully converted to the small collection of cast iron that I already had and I'm thrilled! I'm a regular blood donor and even though I've only been using cast iron for about a month when they went to draw my blood I was asked if I would be willing to make a donation of Power Red since I met all the qualifications. 

Sweet golden deliciousness...
The phlebotomist said that she was kind of surprised because most woman don't qualify for the Power Red donation, to which I replied "Fuck that! I'm a vegetarian! SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY BLOOD!" She was doubly shocked by that, she even said that she thought I was the first vegetarian she had seen qualify.
FUCK YES
So not saying that I would ever do this but let's just say that hypothetically you run out of time in the middle of photographing a recipe for your blog, and have to jet to meet your lady friends at the rock climbing gym. Don't fret! So what if your lighting situation is going to be a little fucked when you get home and you're going to be real tired, who cares? Throw your shit in a tupperware and give yourself a pat on the back!
Roughly chop your veggies, you know how we do it.
   While those veggies you pulled of the stove are still steaming hot and the lighting in your home remains unchanged, give your muffin tins a spritz of oil while your oven heats up. 


Every recipe I've seen for these egg-muffins calls for an oven set to 350 for 30 - 35 minutes, I've tried this and it leads to god awful shoe leather eggs. I lowered my oven to 325 for about 25 minutes and they came out perfectly firm and didn't feel at all like a 25 cent superball.


For my recipe I used 4 egg whites and 1 egg yolk per serving, with veggies added this makes for 3 egg-muffins each morning for breakfast. To make it easier I whisked my eggs in a measuring cup for easy pouring action.

Stuffed with veggies and cheese
Hot and fresh out the kitchen.
I throw 3 of these in an individual tupperware, and call it a night! I can't wait to call it morning though because I want to eat these RIGHT NOW! Hope you enjoy!

1 comment :

  1. Cant wait to make these! I totally forgot to buy those eggs on sale at Safeway! Dang.

    ReplyDelete