Thursday, May 30, 2013

Crystal: My Summer Running Essentials

I live in Phoenix and Phoenix gets VERY hot during the summer so I have to change the way I run to stay cool (and safe!) Here are a few of my favorite products that keep me cool and comfortable! *Disclaimer: I literally rolled out of bed Saturday morning and took all of these pictures. Why you may ask? I really don't know why, that's why. Please forgive my my lack of makeup and sleepy eyes!

First: Shoes
This isn't necessarily related to summer running, but I recently bought the Saucony Guide 6 and LOVE them! I visited my local (and most favorite ever) running store, Tortoise & Hare Sports to be videotaped while running to better understand my running form and my shoe needs. It was a little awkward to say the least, but the employees there are amazing and make you feel at home regardless. These are a lighter shoe than my last pair, with a much bigger drop, the toe to heel offset on these is a 0-4-8-12. That being said, these shoes do take some getting used to. It took my muscles a good two weeks to get acclimated to offset, but now that they are I love them! Don't take my word though, make sure to get properly fitted for your running shoes! 




Second: Apparel
Running gear can quickly add up, but it doesn't always have to cost an arm and a leg if you know where to shop! 

I have a serious Nike Tempo Short obsession and those bad boys are not cheap at $30-$35 a pop! The beauty of Nike tempo shorts is the colors change every season and quickly go on clearance because of it. You can find them in clearance rounders at places like REI, The Sports Authority and even Nordstrom for $20. Another great place to visit is the Nike Factory store, they have such a huge selection to chose from and they always have some sort of sale going on! But now back to why I love tempo shorts so much, they are seriously the most comfortable short to run in, EVER. I used to run in fitted, cotton bike shorts but they would always ride up while running, suuuper annoying! These have a loose fit, so they do not ride up and they have built in undies too, score! The side panels are ventilated and widen along the bottom so you don't have any awkward pulling as you run. I.LOVE.THEM. Here is my collection: (minus one pair that has mysteriously gone missing)




Next we have the sports bra. Again, being a fan of Nike products, I choose to go with the Nike Pro compression sports bra , nothing too fancy but they are the most comfortable sports bra I have found yet. Like my tempo shorts, I always buy these on clearance for $15 - $20. The most I've splurged one was last week when I discovered this adorably stiped bra on Ebay for $25. I have no regrets, cutest sports bra ever! I recently discovered Target's C9 by Champion knockoff and love them almost as much as the original. Oh yeah, did I mention that they are reversible too?! I bought one on clearance recently for $8. Check it out for yourself!
I look stoned, I promise I'm not.


Now on to tops. This is where I get super cheap! I prefer to run in looser racerback tanks, preferably in moisture wicking fabric, but not always. The only thing I try to avoid is long, cotton ribbed tanks. They just bunch up when running, especially when I'm running in shorts. 

Here is my favorite burnout tank, it was on clearance at Nordstrom Rack for $5, yesss!


This is my go to outfit

This cotton, ribbed tank is too long, thumbs down!


Suki is making a guest appearance! 

Here is my new favorite running tank! This is another C9 by Champion item from Target, in the little girls department..don't judge. The XL fits just fine and it was only $10, half the price of the adult version. Yeah buddy! I also have it in blue :)




Here is another one of my go to tanks. This one was a score from Old Navy for only $5. They still have the same style on clearance for $10. This one is cotton, but is not ribbed and has a looser fit. I actually wore this for my half marathon and was comfortable the entire time!


Third: Accessories
You gotta have accessories! My MOST important summer running accessory is my Nathan Hydration Belt that retails $40 but I found mine on Amazon for $30. I really like this one because it really stays in place when running and has a handy little pouch to put my chapstick and phone in. My only complaint is you really have to screw in the top of the bottle in, otherwise it'll leak. It takes some getting used to, but overall it's great!



Next, Nuun Hydration Tablets. These are a great alternative to Gatorade if you have a sensitive stomach like me. Just pop one tab in your water and you're all set! They have tons of great flavors too!




Next, Glucosamine supplements with MSM. These are just good to take all year round. They help strengthen joints and relieve pain from the constant strain of running (or any physical activity). They have so many different brands out there, Osteo Bi Flex probably being the best out there, but they are the most expensive also. I bought this brand at Target for $11 (vs $21 for Osteo Bi Flex)


3 a day keeps the pain away!

Last but certainly not least, Body Glide for women. This stuff will save your body from horrifically painful chaffing! This is a MUST for summer running! I buy mine through Amazon to save a couple bucks.



Stay cool and safe everyone, summer running is no joke! 


-Crystal

1 comment :

  1. I love this post! I still need to go to Tortise and Hare to get some better running shoes. I can't live without my hydration belt either. I've tried.

    ReplyDelete