Friday, May 17, 2013

Hannah: My first climbing trip

I have talked about my first outdoor climbing experience and I'd like to share a little bit more about that day. (Any excuse to jump down memory lane and look through old photos! )
Like I've said before, this was a totally new and freaky experience for me. I've never put my life in the hands of a stranger before! (except for that one time when I was six months old and I had to have intussusception or else I was going to die.)

This is the first moment my hands touched real rock. All those times when I used to throw them don't count. This was feeling rock in a totally different way. The rock was so cold and smooth; very different from what I was used to climbing on at the indoor gym.

If you've ever climbed indoors, you'll know that the routes are marked with tape so if you want to do a specific route you can only touch the hand holds and foot holds that have the same tape. Climbing outdoors is nice because you have no restrictions. All of the rock is free to touch which makes it easier to climb the route, but also easier to escape and free your mind.

Granted, the first time I climbed I was far from at ease. All I could focus on is how high I was and how far I'd fall (I'm not even afraid of heights!) It's very weird trusting your feet to hold you up even when you are standing on the tiniest little ledge (see my right foot in the picture above).

That is me at the top.... realizing there is a small cactus under my butt....
On my way down I was so giddy. I realized there was no reason to get so nervous and worked up over everything. When my feet touched the ground the first thing I wanted to do was climb it again, just like riding an awesome roller coaster. Unfortunately it started to rain as soon as I finished my route so I didn't get to climb more that day but I will never forget that first experience. Looking at the route I can't help but notice how easy it looks even though it was such a challenge for me back then. Just looking at these photos is making me ache to get outside and climb again!

No comments :

Post a Comment